- 6 to 8 medium sized beets
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cardamoms
- 1/3 cup sugar or to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded sweet coconut (the baking variety), plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Chopped pistachios
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the beets in foil and bake for 40 minutes. Cook slightly and peel the beets.
- Place the beets in the food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Place the milk in a heavy bottomed pan and bring to a simmer and add in the beets and watch the milk turn pink and comes to a simmer.
- Add in the cardamom and sugar and the coconut and continue cooking stirring frequently to allow the mixture to gradually thicken.This dessert will have some texture and the milk evenutally will not be visible to the eye.
- Add in the butter and cook until melted and this will give the dessert a smooth dark red glossy appearance.
- Turn off the heat after 5 minutes, the mixture should be a red soft lightly textured mass.
- Cool slightly, serve in bowls garnished with extra coconut and pistachios.