This recipe gets done in less time than it takes me to write about it, expecially considering it took me two attempts to actually upload the picture. It is really my salvation on some weeknights when I need a vegetable to balance out the meal. In fact, these days I actually keep chopped cabbage handy in the fridge. It would actually take away the essense of the recipe to write a long post around it. This being said, I did want to offer a couple of ideas and pointers. I have made this dish with both green cabbage and the savoy cabbage, I have tried this with sliced shallots or without, the essence of this really is that it is a lightly seasoned stir fry.
10 minute Salvation Cabbage
Prep Time: 5-7 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/8 teaspoon asafetida
1 green chili, minced
2 dried red chilies
1 teaspoon turmeric
10 curry leaves (optional)
3 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
Cilantro to garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Heat the oil on medium heat and add the mustard seeds and wait till they crackle, add the ginger and cumin and saute lightly for 30-40 seconds.
2. Add in the asafetida and the green chilies, red chilies and the turmeric and the curry leaves (if using)
3. Mix in the cabbage and the salt.
4. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until the cabbage wilts but is still tender crisp.
5. Remove the cover, garnish with cilantro and serve.
PS. Since I posted this recipe it has become a staple and a much loved one.
Hi, I am Rinku! Cooking in Westchester, is about simple and sustainable cooking from my kitchen and backyard. I love spices, children, numbers and my camera (not in any particular order). A financial … [Read More...]