So, it is officially hot enough for me to start avoiding anything that looks or feels like fire. Call me weird, but much as I savor and love the taste of the super smokey grilling, it just is too much for me to do the grilling thing at any temperature beyond 80F. Well, luckily, there are enough people who feel otherwise. So, tomorrow, in between two dance lessons, I shall be going to my friends barbque event.
Let me tell you that this weekend is officially a scheduling disaster. I have confused and blown a good friend’s son’s wedding, have maybe a few hours to wish my cousin a happy birthday, and lastly need to order a gift for this wedding that I have blown. Gosh! Call me clueless Rinku.
So, onto the slow cooker, even though I use it rather extensively, I tend to do supervised slow cooking rather than the fix and forget variety. It still takes much less time and certainly offers all the energy benefits that I can think of.
This simple and very flavorful recipe, is one of my summertime staples, that I make with any herb that I find available. This version is with a nice dose of green chilies, mint and just a hint of cilantro.
BTW, on an unrelated topic, my neighbours have been bursting fireworks for about a week, honestly, don’t they feel hot. I think I should go over with a bowl of my green curry and remind them, that the holiday is on Wednesday.
So, on to the recipe.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Herb Curry – Murgh Hariyali
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours, mostly unattended in a slow cooker
Serves 4 to 6
For the chicken
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, very finely diced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste
4 pods garlic pressed
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 large tomato, diced
2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into small pieces ( I use boneless skinless chicken thigh)
For the cream paste
1/3 cup low fat sour cream
½ cup cashew nuts
For the herb finish
¾ cup loosely packed mint leaves
1 large lime, halved
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 green chilies, coarsely chopped
Method of Preparation
1. In a large non-stick skillet or pan heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute.
2. Add in the onions and sauté well for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions soften, wilt and begin the turn golden at the edges.
3. Add in the ginger paste and the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add in the cumin and coriander powders and mix well.
5. Place the entire mixture in a slow cooker, add in the salt, sugar and the tomato and turn the setting on a high.
6. Let this cook undisturbed for 1 hour on high and add in the tomatoes and cook for another 45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbly and cooking briskly.
7. Add in the chicken and cook for 40 minutes.
8. Place the sour cream and cashews in a blender and grinder until smooth and stir into the chicken and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Place the mint in a blender, squeeze in the lime juice and add the cilantro and green chilies and grind to a paste.
10. At this point the chicken should be soft and the gravy a light creamy texture.
11. Pull out the plug for the slow cooker and stir in the herb sauce and mix well. Let this rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Stir well and serve with rice or bread garnished with extra lime slices if desired.