Today has ended up being one of those down in the dumps days! Just the kind of day, where a bright and refreshing dish like this stew comes in handy! It is a simple, light and wholesome chicken stew that had two relatively new ingredients. I do not usually add cauliflower to my stews, sure I enjoy a lot of cauliflower other ways, like this Bengali Cauliflower with Potatoes or this Cauliflower with Ginger and Curry Leaves, actually reminds me that I actually have been planning to do vegetable round up posts this year. Well, once we get vegetables that is.
My afternoon began with a hard drive crash, and no, I wish I could tell you that I had everything backed up, I did not!!! The only bright side of this entire episode is that I have discarded a lot of clutter, I did not know what to do with. And, yes, most of the really important stuff was actually backed up. To add to everything, I was supposed to meet my daughter at the train, something that we had both been looking forward to. She was on a school trip to see Aladdin and returning back, just a little earlier than my usual train. I left work and fell into the NYC trap of trying to take a taxi, I was left with $15 short and of course the awful experience of watching the train go by.
The thought of my little girl arriving at the station, and not seeing my saddened me. I took my usual train and reached home 20 minutes later than I had planned. She was smiling and ready to forgive and forget, I was actually ready to climb into bed and go to sleep. Instead, I cooked this simple and very soothing stew. It was perfect for this still chilly evening. Tomorrow, hopefully will be another day!
A light and lively stew redolent with the flavors of lemon, cinnamon and ginger.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 large (3-4 inch) stick cinnamon broken
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 11/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 10-12 small pearl onions, peeled
- 1/3 medium cauliflower, cut into large pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large lemon, halved and seeded
- 3/4 cup green peas, can be frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil and add in the red onion and saute for about 4 minutes until the onions are soft and almost wilted. Add in the ginger, cinnamon and the cloves and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the potatoes, pearl onions and the cauliflower and mix well. Gently add in the water and bring to a simmer, stir in the salt, red cayenne pepper and turmeric and cover and let the stew cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
- The vegetables should be tender and there should be a pale golden soupy broth. Squeeze in the lemon juice and add the peas and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Note, if you are using fresh peas add them into the stew with the potatoes and cauliflower.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with the cilantro and serve.