Last evening, I realized that I was getting behind on a bunch of stuff, including sharing some of the fun stuff that I have been cooking the past few weeks. I shall not belabor the rest of the list here, because chances are that will probably eat up this entire post and then, of course, I will not be able to share this flour less chocolate that I am so excited about.
However, the summarized version of the list, or rather the punchline was, that I had listed,
- Blog about cake
- Sleep on time
as the last two items.
The reason really is that I like to share my thoughts in an unhurried manner, at my pace. I do not and have never subscribed to the concept of scheduling posts, ensuring that something is done by a certain date, yes, I am warning you will get what I cooked at Valentine’s weekend through this week. Here is a good news, all the recipes were really good. The other part of things, that have kept us busy is that my daughter’s team participated in the FLL championships and made it to the qualifying regional rounds. Against a lot of odds…
We were surprised with the unexpected results. The problem with this is we are now in very busy gear, because, this very unexpected success has made the girls eligible for a very stiff competition. A lot of us are concerned that if the girls do very badly, it will be very disheartening. So, we have all been very busy. I have pulled all the stops out, and sent the husband to the programming runs, while I have taken over the baking. This recipe however, was indeed a recipe that I had made for my chocolate loving husband and of course as he will have you know, I enjoyed some rum and coconut water while cobbling it together. I think a little tippler for the cook is always a good thing.
A flour less almond, rum and dark chocolate cake that is perfect for anytime snacking.
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 3/4 cup of sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
- 1 medium sized potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 2/3 cup (about 6 oz) grated dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 335 degrees, grease a 9 inch round cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter, ground almond,sugar and the potato and beat until well mixed. Add in the egg yolks and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until softly peaked.
- Add the vanilla and the rum, with the chocolate into the butter and sugar mixture, fold in the egg whites and pour the mixture into the cake tin. Place the cake in the center of the oven and bake for about 40 minutes or so until almost set.
- Mix the sliced almonds with the maple syrup and pour over the cake and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes, until the almonds are just a little darker.
- Serve the cake warm or cooled.